Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Yes, I asked him to define it.

So I was headed east across campus for a group meeting, and in passing, said hi to a guy from one of my classes. On the way west an hour and a half later, here he was again, also going the opposite direction again! :) So we stopped and chatted for a minute, and he complimented me on my sunglasses. I get that a lot. ;)

He said, in reference to the glasses, "I almost didn't recognize you when I saw you earlier."

To which I responded, mostly joking, "Oh, because I looked so cool that it couldn't possibly be me?!"

And he said, "No, no, it's just that they cover half of your face, so I couldn't tell it was you. I was like, 'who's the hot coastie?'"

(We're just going to pretend that he wasn't saying that the only reason I looked hot was because you couldn't see half my face... ;) hee hee)

The funny thing is that I JUST learned about the word "coastie" last week! So of course, since I'm a big language nerd, I asked him to define it. :) It refers to girls (or girls and guys?) from the east coast, mostly Jersey and New York, and part of the meaning, and the one that he referenced when he described it to me, is dressing chic. :) He said my glasses are definitely NOT in the style of the state where we live.

Which is true. I got them at the Minnesota State Fair. The same place where you can get unlimited milk refills. If that's not chic, I don't know what is.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mwahaha!! (I'm sure Aristotle or someone else important and thoughtful would agree that true chic is chic that downplays its chic-ness. Like how truly humble people would say they're actually super-prideful. Like me. I'm so prideful. Sigh.)

Justin K said...

Well Margaret I don't think that you have to be a coastie! :) I mean you should just start your own style... wait.. I think you already have one. :) And perhaps it is that he was trying to figure out who that Hot coastie was so he could ask her out? :) That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

And perhaps you can help me think of a name for a blog... I think that I am having writers block. ;)

helgaruth said...

Did I ever tell you that you were my definition of Missionary chic in the APM? No kidding. It wasn't just those cool meat-face pictures either. Still rocking that fabulous style (though you may have a few more clothes in your closet now). Love the hair (in your profile picture). Do you have a pic posted of those extremely cool sunglasses?