Friday, February 24, 2006

Wherein I totally accost a girl on campus

She was wearing a shirt that said, "Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" and really had no idea what she was getting herself into. (Start attaching importance to the little decisions, people.) So she was innocently walking across campus when suddenly someone gasped, stopped her, and said, "Do you know what your shirt is from?!?"

Her, startled: Uh, it's a line from that poem...

Weird has-no-problem-stopping-random-people-to-talk-about- their-clothing girl, totally excited: Yeah, the Jabberwocky! And now I'm dying to know what the back of the shirt says!!

Her, awkwardly removing her backpack: Well, it's from an honors English class, so the rest has nothing to do with it...

Weird hnpsrpttatc girl, reading the rest of the shirt anyway: Oh.

Weird hnpsrpttatc girl, babbling apologetically: Sorry to stop you like this, it's just that that poem is kind of a family thing with me. My dad recited it to us all the time growing up, and my sister and I do interpretive dance to the poem, so when I saw your shirt...

Her: No problem!

Her (in her head, hence the italics): Note to self: tell campus police to watch out for this girl. Plus never wear this shirt again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My sister and I do an interpretive dance to the poem."
LOL, again and again.

Margaret said...

We've performed it three times for "public" audiences and have one version on video. I miss my China-visiting sister and sometimes watch the Jabberwocky video to ease the pain. And oh, it does.

Anonymous said...

Seriously. You could make police beat!